Dr. Swenson will direct and teach this rigorous, engaging ten-day training to cover DBT’s extensive knowledge base, to improve the DBT practice of every therapist and every team, and to offer what is needed to prepare for certification as a DBT therapist.
What can you expect from this training?
- To cover DBT’s extensive knowledge base including:
- Pertinent research findings
- How to implement and maintain a DBT program
- How to build and support the DBT consultation team
- How to select and orient patients to DBT
- How to understand and utilize underlying principles of behaviorism,mindfulness, and dialectics throughout DBT
- How to structure the treatment with goals, stages, and targets; functions andmodes; agreements and assumptions
- How to use and integrate all treatment strategies
- How to assess and treat suicidal crises
- How to structure and lead a DBT skills training group, and how to teach andreinforce all DBT skills
- To actually practice conducting DBT’s strategies, with feedback
- To complete practice assignments and comprehensive knowledge exam between Parts 1 and 2
Special Features of this Comprehensive Training
- Applications will be accepted from DBT teams, individual clinicians who are on DBTteams, and independent practitioners with the intention of working with other DBTpractitioners in their home settings
- Team discounts
- Graduate student discounts (must be in a mental health field)
- Daily demonstrations by Dr. Swenson of DBT individual therapy, group skills training,and consultation team
- Telephone consultation to individuals/teams between Parts 1 and 2 with Dr.Swenson to address implementation and practice problems
- Teaching of the DBT skills as presented in the revised edition of the skills manual to be published in October, 2014
- Daily quizzes to ensure retention of content from prior day
Charles Swenson, M.D., is Associate Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. Originally trained in psychoanalysis, he undertook training in DBT and CBT beginning in 1987. He has directed more than 35 ten-day DBT workshops over the past twenty years, teaching several hundred teams, has conducted about a dozen advanced workshops, and has implemented DBT in outpatient, inpatient, day treatment, residential, case management, and crisis settings.
He is considered to be an inspiring teacher who brings DBT to life with clinical examples and demonstrations. Having published numerous articles and book chapters on the uses of DBT in treating borderline personality disorder, he is currently under contract with Guilford Press, writing a book for advanced DBT therapists, expected to be out in the fall of 2015.
He treats his own patients—adults, adolescents, and families—in a private practice in Northampton, Massachusetts, and writes and performs songs about DBT even when they are not requested.
Part 1: March 23 – 27, 2015
Part 2: June 8 – 12, 2015
Monday – Thursday: 8:30am – 5:00pm; Friday: 8:30am – 3:00pm
Cost and Registration
- Full Price: $2,000 per person
- Discounted Price for Teams of 3 or more (20%): $1,600 per person
- Student Price (Graduate Students in MH Professions): $1,000 per person
Important: If you are part of a team, make sure to select the Team Ticket option when registering to receive the discount. If you would like to register a group in one transaction please contact Pamela Wicinas: email@example.com
Registration closes March 9, 2015.
Location and Lodging
The training takes place at Hotel Northampton, 36 King Street, Northampton MA. Click here for directions.
A block of rooms will be made available at the Hotel Northampton. 413-584-3100
- Attendance at introductory DBT workshops, and/or DBT seminars, and/or experience in DBT practice
- Read Linehan’s 1993 manual, Cognitive Behavioral Treatment for Borderline Personality Disorder
- Read Linehan’s 2014 Skills Training Manual for Treating (2nd Edition)